A fictitious layout portraying a GWR branch line terminus. Set during the period 1930 – 1940 this ‘O’ gauge layout celebrates both GWR and Southern Railway locomotives together with passenger and goods stock. It has a scenic frontage which includes factories, warehousing and a canal scene. The motive power is a mixture of kit built and ready to run locomotives. Some of the buildings and road vehicles are scratch built.
Reg and Mary Hunt
This American layout set in farming countryside is presented in G gauge. It has 2 CHE logging locos and a 12-8-0 consolidation for the circus train and LBG tank together with coaches.
Dave and Rene Lear
Barrack Way is not based upon any particular Army Camp but it has plenty to see with a large camp to one side and living quarters on the other including five blocks of flats for Army personnel, houses for the Officers and of course shops. On the camp you will see where the tanks are loaded and unloaded from the train. In the top corner you will find a group of soldiers on manoeuvres with tanks and guns.
Camlas (Welsh for canal) depicts a GWR branch line based mainly on Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire. The station and goods yard have now disappeared but in its heyday, goods and livestock traffic were heavy. Typically it handled between 2000 and 3000 tons of coal and 800 trucks loaded with livestock per year. The road system was poor and so most goods were brought into the area by rail. Cattle trucks and fuel tankers are evident along the railway and to emphasize the rural character of the area, a farmer may be seen ploughing his fields with sheep grazing in the nearby meadow.
For the technically minded, the track-work is Peco Code 75, the station building and goods shed are laser cut wood from Timbertracks with Metcalfe buildings in the industrial area alongside the wharf. The butty boat is made from a Langley kit as was the wharf walls. The cattle dock is from Ratio with animals mainly by Preiser.
Children’s Have a Go
Alister Linford, Fareham and District MRC.
A 6ft 6ins x 4ft layout featuring famous trains from television. Includes a ‘Scalextric’ controller for children to operate.
Sonny Hamid Burbage and District MRC
This club display includes two working layouts, one will be set at a height suitable for viewing by young people and the other is a shuttle layout demonstrating use of simple electronic train control. Members will also demonstrate construction of layout buildings.
Tony Parker, New Forest Model Railway
A modern image N gauge depot that services locomotives from various operators in the South of England. The layout incorporates a small high level passenger station that links to the main national network. Many of the buildings in the depot and yard can be illuminated. This layout shows just how much detail can be created with N gauge in a layout only 5ft x 18ins.
Wimborne Railway Society, Chief Engineers Gordon Edgar and Peter Wilson.
Gorpeton began as a 7ft by 1ft 3ins ‘practice’ layout but just like Topsey ‘it grew’. In brief, it is a fictional double fiddle yard to terminus layout with a number of opportunities and challenges.
Gorpeton Blymee represents a GWR branch line at the end of the Company’s existence in the late 1940’s just as the new British Railways took over. It would have been an intermediate stop on a through line but it became the inadequate terminus of a branch when the owner’s funds ran out. The line was given a new lease of life with the development of the manufacturing company Wilgar and Edson. In the early 30’s Wilgar and Edson expanded rapidly and later, during the war, Wilgar and Edson undertook increasing amounts of MOD work. All the work is ‘hush, hush’ and so secret that we, (its creators) have no idea what they make. To shunt, the factory Wilgar and Edson made some astute purchases of second-hand motive power. What with the entrance to the factory, the station area and goods yard, it can be a challenge to work and drivers and signalmen are kept on their toes.
David Round and Barry Moorhouse, Wimborne Railway Society.
Horton Road is a 7mm scale fictitious Southern British Railways club layout. It is a terminus station with normal railway facilities including a goods branch. This layout has recently been upgraded to DCC operation.
Ins and Outs
Presented in N gauge this layout was originally built by the Romford Model Railway Club in 2001. It was purchased by the present entrant in 2015 and recently renovated and expanded. This ‘layout is a great example of what you can fit into a very small space. It has two interweaved figures of eight with two stations. The rolling stock is varied with some old, some new and even the odd visit from someone Blue (Thomas).
Longmoor Military Railway
This layout has been previously featured in the Railway Modeller, Model Rail, Backtrack, Steam World and Locomotives Illustrated.
This ‘N’ gauge layout takes its inspiration from The Longmoor Military Railway which consisted of 70 miles of sidings in an area 8 miles long and 2.5 miles wide. Although thoroughly researched from an historical point of view, because of scale it is only possible to give an impression of this vast complex. The left hand end of the layout represents Oakhanger, the first station after the interchange at Bordon. The middle part shows some of the siding complexes and the right hand end, the main camp workshops and barracks.
Situated a few miles south of the preserved Woody Bay station in North Devon, Parracombe Halt was on the 2ft. gauge Lynton to Barnstable railway that ran 19 miles across the edge of Exmoor to connect Lynton with the standard gauge LSWR network at Barnstable Town station. This layout is modelled in 4mm scale and set in the 1920’s when there was a change of ownership from the independent Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Co to the Southern Railway.
After 60 years of disuse the Lynton and Barnstable Railway is now operating again. The line is being reopened in stages and will be extended as funds permit. Literature promoting the preservation society is available to whet your appetite.
Layout featured in the February 1982 edition of the ‘Continental Modeller’.
The Saxeten Gemeinde Karren-bahn is set in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland around the village of Saxeten. It is a metre gauge rack railway built to a scale of 5mm to one foot – very close to S scale.
The origins of the railway lie in the end of the 1890’s, when the villagers of Saxeten saw the Berner Oberland Bahn (opened in 1890) bring increased prosperity to the villages of the Lutschinen valleys. Accordingly a plan was developed to link Saxeten with Grisalp and Kiental, with a railway running towards the Rengglipass. To leave their options open the promoters only registered the initials SGK but as so often happens with railways of fancy, the funding ran out before any tangible mileage was built. The villagers were left with a few metres of track and a desire to make something useful of a questionable legacy.
The annual rainfall in the Saxeten valley provides the means via hydro-electric generators to run an electric railway and the villagers used this resource to provide themselves with local transportation. In the tradition of under-funded railways, the railway made use of stock cast off by the other mountain railways in the region. The railway adopted the slang name ‘Saxeten Gemeinde Karren-bahn’ from its initials, which translates as Saxeten Community Barrow Railway.
The model uses rack assistance to negotiate the steep inclines. All the stock is scratch built, and the locomotives use Fleischmann, Hornby or hand built chasses. The track is a mixture of hand built and proprietary.
Please note – in the real world, there isn’t a railway in Saxeten. However other similarly fanciful railway schemes in the region were proposed in all sincerity.
Bob Norris, Gosport Club
This large ‘N’ gauge layout was built by members of the Gosport American Model Railway Club. It has passing loops, a station, industrial sidings, coal mine, power station, tunnel, steel viaduct, chemical plant, switching yards and countryside including canyons and desert. It was built in modules and because of available space only about half is exhibited today.
Set in the early 1960’s Shillingsford is a fictional terminus branch station loosely based on Shillingstone, part of the Somerset and Dorset railway. The layout is DCC controlled and almost all of the locomotives on the layout are fitted with DCC sound. All the rolling stock is fitted with Kadee couplings, giving a very pleasing operational and viewing experience.
David Tiller, Salisbury and District Model Engineering Society
A varied display of model engineering and model making at its best. It includes amongst other models, a beam engine, locomotives, horse drawn vehicles and marine applications.